Congressman Peter Welch: Farm Bill Priorities
Tell us about your experience with this online video, click here.
Congressman Peter Welch is joined by representatives of Vermont’s dairy farmers, vegetable growers, and nutrition advocates discussing the prospects for a Farm Bill in this Congress, as well as his priorities for the bill. The House Agriculture Committee is scheduled to take up the bill May 15th, the Senate Agriculture Committee is taking up its version of the bill today, May 14th.
Congressman Welch outlined his priorities for the bill:
· Stabilize milk prices for dairy farmers;
· Disaster insurance for vegetable growers;
· Promote the use of local fruits and vegetables into school lunches;
· Protect nutrition programs from unreasonable cuts;
· Provide support for organic programs; and
· Grow Vermont’s maple industry through federal support for research and promotion.